Mark J. Heley
Attorney at Law
Email: [email protected]
Connect on LinkedIn →
Download v-Card →
Mark J. Heley, of counsel, is recognized as one of the nation’s preeminent mediators and arbitrators in the area of construction law. He has served as a mediator or arbitrator in over 1,000 matters involving complex construction, real estate and commercial matters. His experience includes contract negotiations, claims and litigation on landmark projects such as the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, the Mall of America, Washington National Airport, St. Paul International Airport and the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit Corridor.
Mark frequently lectures on topics relating to construction and alternative dispute resolution, and has made presentations both nationally and locally. He served as Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Construction Section, and is a former member of the Governing Committee of the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry.
He is a fellow in the American College of Construction Lawyers and the College of Commercial Arbitrators. He is currently serving as President of the College of Commercial Arbitrators.
Mr. Heley practices in the area of construction law and alternative dispute resolution. He represents clients in contract negotiations, risk management, claims and litigation matters. His experience includes representation of clients on landmark projects such as the US Bank Stadium, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome f/k/a Mall of America Field, the Mall of America, Washington National Airport, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, the FargoDome, The University of Minnesota TCF Stadium and the Hiawatha Light Rail Corridor.
Mr. Heley also serves as a mediator and arbitrator with a focus on complex multi-party construction, commercial or real estate matters. He sits as a member of the American Arbitration Association’s panel of neutrals. His dispute resolution experience includes claims for additional compensation, changed conditions, fraudulent conveyances, first party property damage, business separations and subrogation recovery. He has addressed these issues in a variety of public and private projects, including wastewater treatment plants, bridges, wind farms, solar gardens, schools, hospitals, airports, stadium and athletic complexes, retail development, multi-unit residential projects, industrial and highway/heavy construction.
- North Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the District of North Dakota
- United States Supreme Court
- Minnesota State Bar Association/Past Chair-Construction Law Section
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association/Professional Liability and Construction Forum Committees
- Past Chair, Design Division of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- President, 2021 – 2022, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Repeatedly recognized since 1999 by the Minnesota Law & Politics magazine in its annual survey as one of top 4.5% of Minnesota attorneys
- Listed as one of Super Lawyers “Top 100” Minnesota lawyers, 2005 – 2022
- Consistently achieved the highest rankings (AV rating) by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Chambers Rated Construction Mediation
- B.A., University of North Dakota, cum laude, 1981
- Hamline University School of Law, cum laude, 1984