Kurt Mitchell is a successful trial lawyer with over 30 years of legal experience. He serves clients in a variety of construction, real estate, condominium\homeowner association, and commercial disputes. He also assists clients by drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts – including construction contracts for general contractors and property owners, and contracts for the provision of architectural services. Kurt is recognized in the community for both his excellent client service and his results-oriented litigation skills. He has successfully handled disputes in various state courts, federal courts and arbitrations. After three decades of practicing law, it’s difficult to surprise Kurt because there isn’t much he hasn’t seen.
Prior to joining Heley Duncan Melander, Kurt was a partner at another Twin Cities law firm. He is married to Jill and they have three daughters.
- Prosecuting construction defect claims for residential property owners, commercial property owners, condominium associations and townhome associations. This includes construction and design errors.
- Representing contractors and property owners in mechanic’s lien cases. This includes advising contractors about the lien process, prosecuting mechanic’s lien claims for contractors and defending property owners against lien claims.
- Property owner/contractor disputes.
- Drafting and enforcing construction contracts for general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, material suppliers, and property owners.
- Condominium association and homeowner association matters including disputes between associations and its members.
- First party property insurance claims (storm damage, fire loss, sewer backup, hail damage) when insured and insurer disagree on the amount or value of the loss).
- Insurance claim and coverage analysis.
- Real estate conflicts including seller’s non-disclosure matters.
- Representing contractors in investigations commenced by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
- Commercial and business disputes.
- Litigation, trials and arbitrations.
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Montana
- Member, Oregon State Bar
- Pomona College 1984
- Juris Doctorate, Willamette University College of Law 1988